Sunny days and greenways

June 9, 2011

The month of May is my favourite time of year – glorious sunny days that are not too hot, nice cool nights that are cool enough for snuggling under a doona; crisp and clear, sunshine and freshness. It’s also the month when I’m really aware of winter being just around the corner and I make a concerted effort to soak up the sun and get the kids outdoors as much as possible.

One of the best things about where we live is what is called the “greenway” behind our house. We live in an ecovillage where the houses are built in clusters called hamlets all looking in on a central greenway. There is a pathway running through and the kids can play freely without worrying about cars and without being fenced in. And I can watch from inside where generally I’m cooking in the kitchen or working on my laptop at the dining table.

And now, in June, winter has well and truly arrived. Everyone’s talking about how cold it is. “Bleak” was the word my mother used today. In reality, it’s only around 18 degrees – not that cold! But in a sub-tropical climate like this, mild cold feels colder than it really is. Here in the valley it can get down to almost zero and we do get the odd frost. So nice to have the contrast to the hot, humid summers but at the beginning of winter, it feels like a long time until it’s beach and sundresses time again.

Advertisements
  1. Julia permalink
    June 10, 2011 7:55 am

Hi FIlippa,
    love the photos of the greenway.
    Yesterday felt like the coldest day ever in our town (25 minutes drive from you). I was shaking. Well it is winter and to be honest I was wearing boots, leggings, a singlet, long sleeve t-shirt, silk scarf and a silk dress on the top. I wasn’t dressed properly for the weather but I am too stubborn to wear jumpers. I don’t like cold weather so I don’t wear winter clothes. Silly hey?

Love Julia.

2. June 10, 2011 8:46 am

I love this little photo essay on the seasons and life in the Eco Village.

And I think it was colder than 18 degrees in Murwillumbah! But the sun is shining again today.

3. June 10, 2011 11:39 am

yes it is glorious and sunny today (god how I love this winter sun – yum yum!!) but last night was so cold I wore a jumper and a beanie to bed! :-)))

4. June 10, 2011 9:55 pm

swimming seems a long time ago right now πŸ™‚ i am loving the warm sun on my back on these june days.

5. June 10, 2011 10:41 pm

it turns out last night was the coldest June night on record! It was 4 degrees in Coolangatta and my neighbour over the creek here in the ecovillage said it got down to 2 degrees at her place! Brrrrrr! But to make up for it, today was a beautiful sunny day – felt like May again.

6. June 15, 2011 10:40 am

Oh Filippa, you do give me life envy!

• June 18, 2011 9:58 pm

Sorry Jo, it’s not intentional πŸ™‚
      But it really is days like the one in this post when all our hard work to buy, build and stay in this ecovillage make it all worthwhile. It really was an impossible dream for us (because we had no money) and sometimes I wonder if we bit off more than we could chew but we just keep chewing bit by bit and what the kids miss out on of mummy time (because I work a lot), is made up for with the lifestyle they (we) lead here. I just knew I could never do suburbia with kids (or even without for that matter) – it really depressed me.

7. July 16, 2011 3:29 pm

It looks so beautiful…

8. Charlie Zeng permalink
    July 28, 2011 11:11 am

Hi Filippa and the Family,
    As a researcher in sustainable ecotourism and service marketing practices from China, I am coming to Univ. of Queensland with my nature-loving wife and little daughter (perhaps very similar age of your girl) for 3 months and we are difinitely going to visit ecolife oriented places and if lucky, eco homes, like yours.
    I hoped we would have a lot to share now that we have lots of common interest in preserving nature, harmony between growth and environment, organic foods. You might be surprised to know, that as metropolitan dwellers in China like us, we have been successfully feeding our baby with only organic foods since her birth. πŸ™‚ It was really hard but rewarding enough to get us going on.
    I thank you all for creating such a lovely home that we can envy and aspire for too. I want to also thank you for creating this website/blog to share with people around the world your success in keeping healthy family life nearby urban area (gold coast I guess?).
    Again, I very much hope to visit your place during our stay in Brisbane. Is it easy to travel to your home from the Gold Coast city?
    Hope we are lucky enough to make family friends with you. Well, why not drop me an email to surprise us? πŸ™‚ I am Charlie: leyucz@126.com.
    Wish you all a very nice day!
    Charlie

9. July 28, 2011 8:05 pm

Thank you Charlie for your interesting and kind words. I have emailed you and look forward to meeting you and your family later this year.