Fermented Coconut Granola

September 18, 2010

We love this recipe for Coconut Granola. Grains, nuts and seeds can be quite taxing on our digestive systems unless they have been soaked or fermented first. The modern day approach to food is fast and efficient and, consequently, we’ve forgotten a lot of the traditional food preparation methods like soaking oats overnight before making porridge. In this granola recipe, the oats are fermented before cooking/dehydrating making them really easy on the tummy and yummy yummy yummy!

We don’t keep breakfast cereal in our house because it’s generally highly processed (even weetbix) and usually contains lots of sugar. But having grown up eating cornflakes and weetbix, I do crave some kind of breakfast cereal at times. Nuts (soaked and dehydrated to neutralise the phytates and activate the enzymes) and fruit with milk, cream or yoghurt is a really nice brekky but if you’re really after a bowl of morning cereal, then Fermented Coconut Granola is the answer! Kayo loves this – she has it dry without milk, usually in the mornings but often for an afternoon snack as well.

There is a bit of effort in making it but you can make a large batch and it keeps really well in an airtight container.

Coconut Granola

8 cups rolled oats
1/2 melted unsalted butter, cooled
1/2 cup melted coconut oil, cooled
1 and 1/2 cups whole yoghurt
2 cups water
1/2 cup raw honey or maple syrup
1 tspn sea salt
1 tspn ground cinnamon
1 cup shredded coconut
2 cups crispy nuts (soaked and dehydrated)
1 cup raisins

Mix Oats, butter, coconut oil, yogurt, and water together in a large bowl. Pat down, cover with a plate, and leave on the kitchen counter for 2 days. Place honey, salt and cinnamon in a small bowl and set in a small pot of simmering water until honey warms and becomes thin. Mix honey with oat mixture. Spread the mixture out on lined cookie trays and bake in a very low oven for several hours until completely dried out or put in a dehydrator for 12 to 24 hours. Mix with shredded coconut, nuts, and raisins. Store in airtight container. Serve with milk, cream or yoghurt. Also, great used as a yogurt or ice cream topping.

I make double this quantity and the mixture perfectly fits into the 5 trays of my dehydrator. You can just spread the mixture out as one mass and break it up after it dries or break it up into lumps before dehydrating it. Depends on how uniform you want the final result to be. If I’m making it for others, I tend to be fussier about how it looks (see picture below), if it’s just for the family, then I do the quickest easiest way (tastes the same!).

* Recipe from Eat Fat, Lose Fat by Sally Fallon and Mary Enig

Advertisements
  1. Judy Harvey permalink
    September 19, 2010 6:08 pm

Hello Filippa – Yum – there is a market out there for that kind of healthy breakfast!

• September 23, 2010 7:55 pm

There sure is! Too hard to produce it domestically, though, because of the time it takes to cook (several hours in an oven, 12 hours or more in a dehydrator). Looking forward to thinking about it more once Organic Farm Share gets up and running. OFS will have a commercial kitchen and with 700 odd members, it could be a great artisan product to offer member/owners. It is delish and well worth the effort if you are craving breakfast cereal like I was!.

2. October 2, 2011 12:48 pm

Hi, I have had this recipe booked marked literally for over 6 months. I am finally making it, it is in it’s last stages…the mix is in the dehydrator. The whole house smells like coconut 🙂

Thanks for sharing…I look forward to eating this.

• October 2, 2011 6:05 pm

Great! Do post back after you’ve had some. I found it too more-ish (no self control). 🙂

3. October 3, 2011 4:21 pm

It’s delicious! The kids may eat it before I can even store it! I think the long process was worth it. Do you know how long roughly it will keep? Should it go int the fridge or is the pantry ok?

• October 3, 2011 8:30 pm

Not sure Tahnee as it never lasted long enough for us to find out! It should be fine in the pantry as it has been fermented and dried. Glad you like it! We’re off grains (except rice) and dairy for a while now so sadly, granola is off the menu for now. So scrummy!

4. October 23, 2012 9:10 pm

yum! why have I not heard of this before… I used to make sprouted buckwheat granola, but this looks fantastic and i love that its fermented for two days. Weetbix are apparently made with gmo wheat nowadays. have you seen the movie, “Genetic Roulette”?

• October 24, 2012 5:29 am

It really is delicious. I just have to come up with a dairy free version – maybe using coconut yoghurt. I’ve just sprouted and dehydrated a whole lot of buckwheat and am looking forward to using it in baking. I can imagine all processed wheat products use GMO wheat. To think that most Aussie kids are still eating weetbix for breakfast. bleh! We have eggs on sourdough oat bread mostly.