eco-consumerism: green is in

March 15, 2010

I read a report today from trendwatching.com:  10 Crucial Trends for 2010. I was very heartened to read that consumers are demanding transparency and honesty, conversation instead of one way advertising, collaboration instead of “us and them”. Social networking online through Facebook, Twitter, blogs and so on has produced very savvy consumers who now have much more control and influence than in the past. Power to the people!

Even better was the push for corporations to be ethical and be green. The advice was be green without compromise. Do not give consumers a choice other than the green option. Bundanoon: Australia’s first bottled-water free town is one example, a complete ban on plastic bags is another.

Sustainability is on people’s minds and it’s not just on the minds of greenies like me: “For the first time, there’s a global understanding, if not a feeling of urgency that sustainability, in every possible meaning of the word, is the only way forward.”

The time has come to demand what it takes to change the way we do things, individually and on a corporate level. What can you do to help make life on this planet more sustainable? Here are some of the things we’re doing:

I’m sure there’s more but that’s a start. Leave me a comment with your ideas of how to live more sustainably – I’d love to hear them.

Advertisements
  1. March 15, 2010 10:10 pm

I like to know that when I hear a comment that is directed against living sustainably like “there’s no such thing as climate change”, “we can’t really do anything to help”, “it’s the governments that have to act”, “oh, one person can’t really do anything” and other negative comments, that I can step up and be positive and stick up for the things that I see happening all around me by people who are acting now and making BIG differences.
    Check out lifechangingdocos.com.au, foodmatters.tv and other really important things that people are DOING. It’s the do-ers who will change this world. Not those who are just talking about it or even talking it down.
    Become someone who is active – Just like you Filippa.

THanks for your blog – I love it.

• March 16, 2010 6:32 am

Thanks Kerry 🙂 So it’s Do the change you wish to see in the world then and not just “be the change”!

2. Judy Harvey permalink
    March 15, 2010 10:12 pm

Hello Filippa – I totally agree with you and I eat organic and am fussy about the quality and source of foods that I eat. Did you know that in order for psychiatrists to be able to control more of our lives, they have come up with a disorder called “orthorexia” and did you know that if you eat only organic and take a stance with food, you may be given this label and they may try to medicate you…

Orthorexia” is defined as an obsession with “healthy or righteous eating”. The phrase was first created in 1997 by California doctor Steven Bratman, and refers to people who create severely limited diets in the name of healthy eating. It often begins with someone’s simple and genuine desire to live a healthy lifestyle. The person may choose to stop eating red meat, but eventually cuts out all meat; then all processed foods, and will eventually eat only specific foods that are prepared in very specific ways.

• March 16, 2010 6:57 am

Yes I think it’s called “job justification” and is rampant in the sickness industry. Until we start taking full responsibility for our health and what we put into our bodies and how we live our lives, the sickness industry is going to continue to feed off us, says Filippa who is happy to have not even had so much as a painkiller pass her lips in 16 years. Drug free and proud of it!

3. Dee Sier permalink
    March 18, 2010 11:03 pm

Yes, organic sustainable food & lifestyle are high on my list of life choices because of multiple allergies I developed…

The cause of which being heavy metal toxicity from dental amalgam fillings.
    This substance has been banned in many countries of the world is still commonly used by dentists in Australia & IS SAID TO NOT BE DETRIMENTAL TO ONE’S HEALTH!!!!!

It amazes me that these fallacies are still so common in so many areas of 21st century life.

Consumerism rules the media & pertinent, truthful information about nutrition & food production are dependent on fashion & drug company research dollars.
    It takes a lot of time to become conscious of what the numbers in food labels really mean to one’s biological health.
    I’ve definately got the “Orthorexia ” syndrome !

• March 19, 2010 12:11 am

Welcome Dee! 🙂 My health improved HEAPS after I had my amalgams removed 11 years ago – goodbye recurring sore throats for one. And I think the solution to all the numbers in food labels is to avoid food that has labels – i.e. avoid the numbers all together.